Church of Haapamäki

With the completion of the Jyväskylä line (1897), Haapamäe had developed into a significant railway crossing station. As the population increased, it was considered necessary to acquire a prayer room and a cemetery.

Architect Mikael Nordenswan 1952-1953
Seats 300

In 1931, the track master Heikki Heinonen and his wife Emma donated good cloth land behind the track yard for that purpose. The drawings of the church were commissioned from master builder Heikki Tiitola.

The foundations of the church were laid in 1939 in a “gift country” that had had a modest blessing chapel since 1932. However, the war cut off the prayer room project and the foundations grew bushily after the war.

The church was finally built according to new drawings by architect Mikael Nordenswan, who attended his school in Haapamäki. Nordenswan designed a steep-roofed brick-built long church with a plastered outer surface enlivened by slate. A separate high bell tower is next to the main entrance.

The altar section is lower than the rest of the church hall and the altar wall has a reduced cross.

Haapamäki Church is the first multi-purpose church. In connection with the church hall, there is a parish hall and club facilities.

Pastoral Office

Open: Mon-Thu 9-13, Fri closed

Visiting address: Kippavuorentie 7, Keuruu
Postal address: PO Box 64, 42701 Keuruu
Email: keuruu.seurakunta@evl.fi